Bank Agencies

Bank Of The United States

This important Institution was incorporated, by the State of Pennsylvania, for Thirty Years, from the 18th of February 1836, with a Capital, of Thirty-Five Millions of Dollars; a measure, highly characteristic, of the wisdom, and foresight of her Legislature, and one, that has secured to the City and State, all the advantages, flowing from the active employment of the large Capital, invested in the late Bank of the United States, at that time, about to cease, its lawful actions, as a monied Institution.

In 1837, from various causes, a Suspension of Specie Payments occurred, throughout the United States, and the action of this Bank, in conjunction with the distinguished Financiers of Philadelphia, and the Country generally, in maintaining an equilibrium in our currency, and finally, a Resumption of Specie Payments, won for the Institution, an almost universal concession, of its distinguished Utility.

The enlarged operations of the Bank, through Agencies, established in several of the States, and One Principal Agency, In London, secures, for Merchants of this City, and the Commercial Interests of the Country generally, many facilities, in the payments for Goods, and sale of Stock, which were much wanted, by the constantly growing importance, especially, of our foreign transactions.

Bank Directors, For 1839

Thomas Dunlap
John Connell
John J. Vanderkemp
Manuel Eyre
John Bohlen,
Ambrose White
Caleb Cope
Richard Price
Cheyney Hickman
Matthew Newkirk
John A. Brown
John Andrew Shulze
Joseph R. Ingersoll
Thomas Smith
Richard Alsop
Richard B. Jones
Joseph Cabot
George Sheaff
Lewis Wain,
John Kirkbride

Thomas Dunlap, President.
J. Cowperthwaite, Cashier.
John Andrews, 1st Assistant Cashier.
_____ _____, 2nd Assistant Cashier
Herman cope; 3rd Assistant Cashier

Officers of Discount, and Deposit, in Pennsylvania:

Pittsburg James Corry, Cashier.
New Brighton, (Beaver Co.) W. H. Denny, Cashier
Erie P. Benson, Cashier

Bank Agencies

London, Samuel Jaudon, Esq.
Boston, S. Frothingham.
New York, Bank of U. S. M. Robinson, President
Mobile, George Poe, Jun.
St. Louis, H. S. Coxe
N. Orleans, Merchant's Bk., W. W. Frazer

The splendid marble edifice, in which the business of this Institution is transacted, is situated in one of the finest locations in the City, having two fronts one on the north, facing Chesnut Street, and one, on the south, facing Library Street, each ornamented, with eight heavy fluted columns, of the Doric order, supporting a heavy entablature, of the same order* It stands entirely isolated, and the light is received, in the principal bank room, and other apartments, from the sides, facing east and west.

The ascent to the vestibule on Chesnut Street, is made, by a range of marble steps, of the entire width of the front of the Bank, and on Library Street, by a similar range of steps, obstructed at the entrance, by an ornamented iron railing.

The view of the Bank, from Chesnut Street is greatly improved, by its elevation and recession, from the Street, and in connection with the new edifice of marble, recently erected, for the Philadelphia Bank, forms a spectacle, highly satisfactory, to the connoisseur in architecture.

At night, the front on Chesnut Street, is illuminated by gas lights, placed in the rear of the columns, which has a very agreeable effect, and presents it as an object that cannot escape attention, at all times. The front, on Library Street, has been much improved, by the recent erection of an edifice, on each side of the Bank, designed as residences, for officers of the Bank, so arranged in their architectural proportions, as to enrich the appearance of the front of the Bank, on this street.

The original cost of this edifice, and the property on which it is situated, was nearly Five Hundred Thousand Dollars.

The Old Bank of the United States

Was located in South Third Street, below Chesnut Street, and after the cessation of its charter, in 1811, it was occupied by the late Stephen Girard, as his Banking House, until his demise, at which time, by his Will, it became the property of the City. It is now occupied, by the Girard Bank.

This building has an elegant portico, with fluted (marble) pillars, of the Corinthian order, on the sides of which are wings, with pilasters, the whole front being faced with marble, and the portico on the front and sides, having an ample range of marble steps. The cornice and pediment, are of wood work, and support an American Eagle. The building of thin elegant edifice, was commenced, in 1795, and it was the first public structure, erected with a portico and pillars, in Philadelphia. Its appearance has been recently, much improved, by suitable repairs.

The Bank of Pennsylvania

This elegant edifice is built entirely of marble, from an adjoining county, its principal front is on Second Street, and its rear on Dock Street, from both of which, it recedes sufficiently to shew to advantage, two porticos, each formed by six marble columns, of the Ionic order. The principal banking room is forty-five feet in diameter, and it is covered with a marble roof; some of the blocks, comprising which, are of seven tons weight, and surmounted with a cupola, with eight windows, which assists in lighting the banking room. The staircases are all of marble, and the whole interior, except the doors, windows, floors, and counters, are incombustible. This building has been much admired, by strangers and connoisseurs, for its correct proportions, and general effect.

Philadelphia Bank

This building has an elegant portico, with fluted columns of the Corinthian order, resting on a base, and flanked with wings, all of fine marble. The basement is occupied for merchants' Stores, and the banking rooms are in the Second Story. This bank, in connexion with the bank of the United States, forms one of the greatest ornaments of Philadelphia, and reflects great credit on William Strickland, Esq. the architect of the two elegant structures, above mentioned. The site of this bank was formerly occupied by a durable structure, in pure Gothic style.

Location, And Capital of Banks

Pennsylvania Bank.
Second Street, near Walnut. Incorporated 30th of March, 1793. Capital, $2,500,000.
Joseph P. Norris, President.
Joseph Trotter, Cashier.
Agencies are established in Tennessee, Virginia, and also, in several parts of Pennsylvania.

Philadelphia Bank
S. W. Corner of Chesnut and Fourth Streets. Incorporated in 1804. Capital $2,000,000.
John Read, President.
John B. Trevor, Cashier.

Girard Bank
Third Street, below Chesnut. Chartered, in 1832: Extended 1836. Capital, $5,000000.
James Schott, President.
W. D. Lewis, Cashier.

Schuylkill Bank.
Market and Sixth Streets. Chartered 1814. Capital, $1,000,000.
William Meredith, President
Hosea J. Levis, Cashier.

Farmers and Mechanics' Bank
Chesnut, near Fourth Street north side. Incorporated 1824. Capital, $1,250,000.
Joseph Tagert, President,
William Patton, Jr. Cashier.

Bank of North America
North side of Chesnut Street, west of Third Street. Charter by Congress, 1781. Capital, $1,000,000.
Henry Nixon, President
Henry Hollingsworth, Cashier.
This is the oldest BANK, in the United States

Mechanics' Bank, (Of the City and County, of Philadelphia.)
West side of South Third Street near Market.
Chartered 1814 Capital, $100,000.
Lemuel Lamb President
J. B. Mitchell Cashier.

Commercial Bank, Of Pennsylvania
North side of Market Street, east of Third Street. Charter 1814 Renewed 1836. Capital, $91,000,000.
James Dundas, President.
Benjamin P. Smith, Cashier.

Bank of The Northern Liberties
North side of Vine, near Third Street. Incorporated 1813. Capital, $500,000.
Jonathan Knight, President.
R. L. Pitfield, Cashier.

Manufacturers & Mechanics' Bank
N. W. comer of Vine and Third Streets. Chartered 1832. Capital, $600,000.
Thomas H. Craige, President.
James Hunt, Cashier.

Western Bank
South side of Market Street, above Ninth. Chartered 1832. Capital, $500,000.
George Troutman, President,
M. E. Israel, Cashier.

Moyamensing Bank
Southeast corner of Second and Chesnut Streets. Incorporated 1832. Capital, $250,000.
Joseph Solms, President,
J. Heston, Cashier.

Bank Op Penn Township
N. W. corner of Sixth and Vine Streets. Incorporated 1826 Capital, 9250,000.
Elijah Dallett, President.
Jacob Frick, Cashier.

Southwark Bank
Second Street, below South Street. Chartered 1825. Capital, 9250,000.
I. Sparks, President.
Joseph S. Smith, Cashier.

Kensington Bank. (Situated in Kensington) Chartered for 15 years, from 1836. Capital, $250,000.
Jonathan Wainwright, President.
Charles Keen, Cashier.

State Bank of Camden, (N. J.)
(Office, No. 12 Church Alley.) Chartered 1812. Capital, 300,000.
Richard M. Cooper, President
Robert W. Ogden, Cashier.

Many of the buildings occupied by the foregoing banks, are structures highly ornamental to the neighborhood, in which they are located, especially the Commercial, the Mechanics, and the Southwark Bank, each of which have marble fronts; and the isolated situations of the Penn Township and the Manufacturers and Mechanics' Banks render them neat and ornamental.

It will also be seen, by the foregoing list of Banks in this City, that the aggregate Bank Capitol of Philadelphia, is Fifty-Three Millions, and Fifty Thousand Dollars, an amount, that must secure to the Capital of this Commercial Emporium, its due influence in all Financial Operations.

It will likewise be noticed, that the Capital of several of the Banks, is sufficiently extensive for them to afford powerful auxiliary aid to the Bank of the United States, in maintaining Sound Currency throughout the Country, that must be desirable, to All Sound Banking Intuitions, and one, that the Banks of Philadelphia have already shown then power and disposition, to secure.

The Bank Capital of Philadelphia is so large, and so judiciously exercised, that her commercial prosperity may be considered, as based on the broadest and most permanent Foundation.

History of Philadelphia


Source: A History of Philadelphia: With a Notice of Villages, in the Vicinity, Printed and published by Daniel Bowen, 1839


Please Come Again!!



Back to AHGP

Copyright August ©2011 - 2017AHGP The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work

This web page was last updated.
2016

 


Hosted Free