Public Press of Philadelphia

Printers, Printing, &c

As early as six weeks after the city of Philadelphia was Founded, William Bradford, (a very respectable man) established a Printing Press, and published a Sheet-Almanac, for the year 1687, a copy of which, is now in the Philadelphia Library. The "American Weekly Mercury," was published, by his son Andrew and in 1719 and William, the grandson of the first William Bradford, commenced publishing a Weekly paper, in 1743. A German newspaper was printed (weekly) in 1743, and one was issued from the Press, (in the same language) Quarterly at Germantown. In 1733, a Second newspaper was established, and in 1727, Benjamin Franklin was concerned in its publication. The "Pennsylvania Packet" was first printed weekly, by John Dunlap, in 1771, and continued at Lancaster, from 1778 to 1779. On the evacuation of the City, by the British, ii was issued twice a week, and in 1784, converted into a daily paper, the First, in the United States: In 1801, this paper was sold to Zachariah Poulson, Esq. its present proprietor and publisher: He then assumed for it, the title of 'the American Daily Advertiser."

 In 1786, "The Columbian Magazine," was commenced by Mathew Carey, Esq. and others; and in 1787, he (alone) commenced ''The American Museum." In 1790, an Encyclopedia, in 18 Volumes (quarto) was commenced, the demand for which, increasing as its publication progressed, it was found difficult to obtain printers sufficient to carry on the work. The first Standing Quarto Bible, published in the world, was set up by Mathew Carey, and it is now, the only one of separate types, of that size: The types for this Bible, were cast by Messrs. Binney & Ronaldson. Barlows' Columbiad, Wilson's Ornithology, Barton's Botany, Rees' Cyclopaedia, and many other publications of distinguished merit, have been issued from the Philadelphia PRESS.

The Law Reports of H. Binney, Esq. those of Sergeant & Rawle, and Peter A. Brown, Esquires, should be noticed, as a creditable evidence of the laudable enterprise, of Philadelphia Printers.

The present condition of the Art of Printing is highly gratifying and the branches which have been connected with it show, that it is still in vigorous progress.

In the Department of Ornamental Printing, besides the best kinds of Printing Ink of various colors, elegant impressions are now made, in gold, silver, and bronze; and every shape and form, of plain and fancy Types, are employed: Rich and ornamental Borders; devices, in great variety, ships, landscapes, steam boats, birds, animals, canal boats, and railroad cars, tire in daily use.

The Art of Printing within the last 15 years, having undergone such a great change in the variety and forms of Types, and Ornamental execution, that we have thought a few pages at the end of (his work (as a specimen) would be gratifying to the lovers and connoisseurs in the Typographical Arts at the period referred to, no such thing could be procured from any other source than importations from Europe, and then the prices were very high, which circumstance is now, entirely obviated, without the loss of time and expense of importation.

Mr. Geddes, corner of Chesnut Street and Hudson's Alley, executes Ornamental (and other) Printing, particularly, in gold, silver, bronze, &c. in a superior style.

Messrs. Adams & Co. No. 20, Fourth Street, have an extensive establishment, for Ornamental Printing; and in connection with it, the manufacture of Snow Flake Cards, produced at no other manufactory. South or West of New York

Distinguished Printers

Many who kayo acquired great fame and celebrity, in the world, began their career, as printers. Sir William Blackstone, the author of the English Law Commentaries, was a printer, by trade. King George, III. was a PRINTER, and not unfrequently, wrought at the business, after he ascended the throne of England. We need not say, that Dr. Franklin was a Printer, for this is well known to all, who are familiar with his name. Alexander Campbell, the Theologian, and many other eminent characters (of the present day) were Printers.

Public Press of Philadelphia

All the News Papers in the following list, except the Evening News, the National Gazette, and the Philadelphia Gazette, are published in the morning:

Daily News Papers

United States' Gazette, 66, Dock Street.
Poulson's American Daily Advertiser, 106, Chesnut Street.
The Pennsylvanian, 99, South 2nd
The Philadelphia Gazette, 97 South 2nd
The Pennsylvania Inquirer & Courier, 73, South 2nd Strert
The National Gazette, 96, South 2nd
The American Sentinel, 35, Walnut St.
The Herald & Pennsylvania Sentinel, 61, Dock st.
The Evening News, corner of 2nd and Walnut.
The North American, Dock Street, opposite the Exchange.
Public Ledger (penny paper) N. W. corner 2nd and Dock St.
Daily Evening News (2 penny) 2nd near Walnut st.
The Spirit of the Times, (penny) N. W. or. 3rd and Chesnut.
The World Dock, near 3rd
The Little Genius, 2nd near Walnut.
The Scissors, occasionally.

Periodicals

American Journal of the Medical Sciences, Fourth Street, near Chesnut.
Eclectic Journal of Medicine, Carpenter St. near 7th.
Waldie's Select Circulating Library, 46, Carpenter Bt.
Littell's Museum, 279, Chesnut.
Medical Library, 19, St. James's St.
Journal of the Franklin Institute, 7th above Chesnut.
American Medical Library, 46, Carpenter St.
American Phrenological Journal, 46, Carpenter St.
Financial Register, 46, Carpenter St.
Lady's Garland, 45, N. Sixth Bt. Farmer's Cabinet, 45, N. 6th
Bicknell's Counterfeit Detector, 76, South 3rd St.
Gentleman's Magazine, comer of Dock & Bank Alley.
Lady's Book, 911, Chesnut St.
Medical Examiner, by Biddle and Clymer. Philadelphia (monthly) Reporter, 45, N. 6th St.
The Colonization Herald, (semi-monthly) 27, Sansom St.
The Penny Magazine, Mr. Pollock, Agent.
The Cyclopedia of Useful Knowledge. Do
The Spirit of Foreign Magazines, by Mr. Littell.
Journal of Homoeopathic Medicine.

Weekly News Papers

The Saturday Courier, 73, Dock St.
Atkinson Saturday Evening Post,
Carter's Alley.
The Saturday Chronicle, 72, S. 2nd
The Evening Star, and Independent Democrat, 73 Dock Street.
Be Alte Und Newe Welt, 9, Bread St.
The Weekly Messenger, Franklin Place.
The Episcopal Recorder, 12, Pear St.
The Banner of the Cross. 4th St. below Market.
The Presbyterian, corner of 7th and George St.
The Religious Telegraph &, Observer, 134, Chesnut St.
The Catholic Herald, 61, N. 3rd St.
The Friend, corner of 4th and Appletree Alley.
The Pennsylvania Freeman, 72, N. 7th, St.
Bicknell's Reporter, 76, south 3rd St.
The Sunday School Journal, 146, Chesnut St.

The Public Ledger, for the country, and other Weekly papers, for the country, containing the substance of the Daily papers, excepting the advertisements, are regularly published.

History of Philadelphia


Source: A History of Philadelphia: With a Notice of Villages, in the Vicinity, Printed and published by Daniel Bowen, 1839


Please Come Again!!



Back to AHGP

Copyright August ©2011 - 2017AHGP The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work

This web page was last updated.
2016

 


Hosted Free